So you want to play videos from VLC Media Player on your Roku TV? Well, you’ve come to the right place my friend!
Unfortunately, there’s no official VLC app available on the Roku Channel Store. But don’t worry – with a bit of magic called screen mirroring, you can still enjoy VLC on the big screen. 😉️
Let me walk you through the easy steps…
What is Screen Mirroring?
Screen mirroring allows you to cast or “mirror” whatever’s on your smartphone, tablet or computer over to a TV screen. So by installing VLC on one of those devices first, you can then mirror its display to your Roku. Pretty neat trick huh!
Here’s a quick peek at how it works:
<table> <tr><td>👉️ Install VLC app on phone/tablet/laptop</td><td>➡️ Connect wirelessly to Roku </td><td>📺 Cast VLC screen over to TV</td></tr> </table>
Now let’s go through the setup…
Enabling Screen Mirroring on Your Roku
You’ll first need to flip the switch on your Roku to allow screen mirroring connections:
- Go to Settings > System > Screen Mirroring
- Set Screen Mirroring Mode to either “Prompt” or “Always Allow”
And that’s it! Your Roku will now happily accept screen mirroring requests from nearby devices.
Pro Tip: Connecting works best if your phone/tablet/laptop is on the same WiFi network as your Roku.
Casting VLC from Your Phone or Tablet
If you want to cast VLC from an iPhone, iPad or Android device, here’s what to do:
- Install VLC app from the App Store or Google Play Store
- Launch VLC and start playing a video
- Swipe down from top of screen to open Quick Settings
- Tap the Screen Mirroring button
- Select your Roku device
- Enjoy VLC on the big screen!
Android users can also use the dedicated “Cast” button in Quick Settings.
And that’s all there is to it! The VLC app on your phone will now be displayed on your TV.
Mirroring VLC from Your Windows PC
Want to cast videos from VLC on a Windows laptop or desktop? Just:
- Download and install VLC Media Player
- In VLC, play a video
- Press Windows key + K to open Connect screen
- Select your Roku device
Again, pretty straightforward stuff. Windows has built-in wireless screen mirroring capabilities – you just need to turn them on.
Casting VLC from Your Mac
For Mac users, here are the steps to mirror VLC:
- Click AirPlay icon in menu bar and select Roku
- Download VLC for Mac
- Launch VLC and play something
- Video will now cast to your TV!
MacOS makes screen mirroring super simple with AirPlay. Just toggle it on, choose your Roku, and you’re good to go!
And that covers the main options for beaming VLC from your devices onto your Roku TV!
Let’s recap the key takeaways:
- No official VLC Roku app – but screen mirroring provides a handy workaround!
- Enable screen mirroring on your Roku first
- Then install VLC app on your phone, tablet, laptop
- Use device’s screen mirroring/casting feature to connect
- Choose your Roku and enjoy VLC videos on the TV!
I hope this guide has helped explain the easy process. Now you can enjoy your entire VLC media library up on the big screen. Everything from videos to music and beyond! 😊️
Let me know if you have any other questions down below!