Seeing in the dark can be difficult in Minecraft. Luckily, you can brew a Potion of Night Vision to light your way! This potion allows you to see clearly at night, underwater, and in caves.
In this beginner-friendly guide, I’ll explain everything you need to know to make your own Night Vision potions in Minecraft.
What Does the Potion of Night Vision Do?
When you drink a Potion of Night Vision, your view brightens significantly for 3-8 minutes, depending on the potion’s duration. Here’s an example of how it looks:
“This potion can even be used to explore the Nether dimension. To show you the effects of the Potion of Night Vision on Minecraft’s nighttime world, we have provided screenshots.”
The Night Vision potion works in all low-light areas, including:
- At night
- In caves
- In the Nether
It’s an extremely useful potion that can help you navigate safely, reveal hidden treasures, and explore Minecraft worlds more easily.
How to Make a Night Vision Potion
To brew a Night Vision potion, you’ll need:
- Brewing Stand
- Blaze Powder
- Awkward Potion (base potion)
- Golden Carrot
Don’t worry if you don’t have all the ingredients yet! I’ll explain how to get each one below.
Set Up a Brewing Stand
A Brewing Stand is required for making any potion in Minecraft. Follow this crafting recipe to make one:
|Empty Glass Bottle
Once crafted and placed, the Brewing Stand GUI will open. It has “fuel”, “ingredient”, and “potion” slots to fill.
Get Blaze Powder
Blaze Powder is used as fuel for the Brewing Stand.
To get it:
- Build a Nether Portal to travel to the Nether
- Locate a Nether Fortress
- Kill Blazes to get Blaze Rods
- Craft Blaze Rods into Blaze Powder
Add Blaze Powder to the leftmost fuel slot of the Brewing Stand before starting any potion.
Brew an Awkward Potion
An Awkward Potion serves as the base for most potion recipes.
- Water Bottle
- Nether Wart
Follow these steps to make it:
- Fill glass bottles with water
- Add Nether Warts to “ingredient” slot
- After ~20 seconds, Awkward Potions will fill the “potion” slots
Craft a Golden Carrot
Golden Carrots are the key ingredient for Night Vision potions.
To make one:
- Find carrots in villages or harvest them from crops
- Acquire gold nuggets
- Craft gold nuggets around a carrot on the crafting grid
Combine the Ingredients
Once you’ve gathered everything, brew a Night Vision potion by:
- Fueling the Brewing Stand with Blaze Powder
- Adding an Awkward Potion to a “potion” slot
- Putting a Golden Carrot in the “ingredient” slot
After ~20 seconds, the Awkward Potion(s) will turn into Night Vision potions!
And that’s it – you’re now ready to navigate the dark with ease.
Bonus: Make a Splash Potion
Want to give the gift of night vision to friends or mobs? Turn it into a Splash potion by adding Gunpowder!
Simply brew Night Vision potions as above, then:
- Add Gunpowder (from creepers) to the top “ingredient” slot
- After ~20 seconds, the potions will become splash versions
Splash the potion near others for them to gain night vision, too.
Using Night Vision Potions to Your Advantage
Now that you can make as many Night Vision potions as you need, here are some ideas for harnessing their power:
- Spelunk safely – Explore caves and ravines stress-free even in pitch blackness
- Light your builds – Illuminate your landscape while working at night
- Underwater sights – Get a gorgeous view of ocean biomes and monuments
- No more mob surprises – Spot enemies sooner from a distance
- Find rare Nether items – Scope out Quartz, Ancient Debris, and more despite low light
- Impress your server – Share with friends so everyone gets the same bright gameplay
And much more! Pushing the boundaries of standard visibility takes mining, fighting, and adventuring to new levels.
Now you have the know-how to permanently upgrade vision in your worlds with Potions of Night Vision. See you in the dark!