Oh no, error code 504! Don’t worry friend, we’ll have you streaming your shows again in no time. This pesky error happens when Hulu loses connection to its servers, but there are a few easy things we can try to get you up and running.
Let’s start simple:
Check Your Internet Connection
Before doing anything else, verify your internet connection is working properly. Try loading a website on another device connected to the same network. If pages load fine, move on to the next steps! If not, try:
- Resetting your router and modems
- Connecting devices directly to the router with an ethernet cable
- Upgrading your internet plan if speeds are too slow
Hulu recommends minimum speeds of:
- 3 Mbps for the streaming library
- 8 Mbps for live TV
- 16 Mbps for 4K streams
Clear Out Old Cache and Data
Over time, cached data can get corrupted and cause errors. Let’s wipe the slate clean:
- On your browser, open settings and clear browsing history, caches, cookies, etc.
- On mobile apps, delete the app cache and data from device settings
- Perform a hard reboot after deleting the app data to ensure everything refreshes properly
Update Hulu and Device Software
Using outdated software can also prevent Hulu from connecting.
- For Windows/iOS/Android, check app stores for Hulu updates
- For streaming devices, find system updates in device settings
- For smart TVs, search for a system software update option in TV settings
“But I never update my stuff and it usually works fine!” I hear you say. I know updates are annoying, but they often include important bug and performance fixes to keep things running smoothly!
Contact Hulu Support
If you still see error 504 after trying the steps above, the issue could be on Hulu’s end. Check Hulu’s status page to see if there are any known service issues for your area. If all looks good, contact their customer support team who can investigate further.
I know error codes can be frustrating, but hang in there! With some focused troubleshooting, we’ll sleuth out a solution. Let me know if any of these steps resolved the issue or if you have any other questions!