Do you ever get that nagging feeling that someone could be spying on what movies or shows you’re streaming? I know I do! That’s why using a VPN with your Roku device is so important. A VPN encrypts your internet traffic so that nosy hacker types can’t see what you’re up to.
The good news is that setting up a VPN on your Roku is pretty straightforward, even though Roku doesn’t directly support VPN connections. In this short guide, we’ll walk through the steps using ExpressVPN as an example.
Why Use a VPN with Roku?
- Encrypts your web traffic so hackers, your internet service provider, and even the government can’t see what you’re streaming
- Lets you access region-locked content by appearing to connect from a different country
- Protects your privacy so only you know about your not-so-guilty viewing pleasures!
What You’ll Need
- A Roku streaming device
- An ExpressVPN subscription
- A VPN-compatible WiFi router
Or if you’re tech-savvy, you can set up a virtual private router instead of a physical one.
Step-By-Step VPN Setup Instructions
Follow these steps to keep your streaming habits private:
1. Set Up Your VPN Router
Use ExpressVPN’s router app or manual configuration to connect your router to their VPN servers. This routes all traffic from your home network through encrypted tunnels.
2. Configure Your Roku’s Location
Make sure your Roku account matches the location you’re connecting from with your VPN router:
- If your VPN router connects through a U.S. server, set your Roku region to the United States
- You may need to factory reset your device to change locations
3. Connect Roku to Your VPN Router
Now simply connect your Roku to the WiFi network from your VPN-enabled router.
4. Sign In and Start Streaming!
Sign into your Roku account and start streaming anything you want. Your viewing history is now hidden behind VPN encryption. Awesome!
And there you have it – private, encrypted streaming with a few quick setup steps. Now you can catch up on Real Housewives guilt-free. 😉
Let me know in the comments if you have any other questions!